The North Museum offers tours on a variety of natural history and science topics. A guided tour will enrich your group's experience. Our staff provides valuable information about the galleries, exhibits, artifacts, and specimens. We recommended that you plan to be here for about 90 minutes. You may choose up to four of the Museum's permanent or temporary exhibitions. Additional time is needed to include a Planetarium program or a visit to the Museum Shop.
Lancaster County Junior Envirothon
The North Museum is a great place for Envirothon teams to prepare for the annual competition scheduled each spring. We have many of the mammals, birds, and insects that are on the study list. These specimens will be highlighted within Museum exhibits for easy identification. Call after February 1 to make a reservation for this study opportunity.
Science Loan Kits
Science Loan Kits are self-contained units that include a whole lot of education and FUN! A teacher's guide relates the contents to the appropriate Academic Standards. Materials in each kit may include specimens and artifacts, display items, videos, games, and books as well as other educational resources. These kits make a great pre-visit activity before coming to the Museum. Borrowers must pick-up and return the kits.
Price: One week $30; Two weeks $55 Security deposit: $50
- Tiny Wonders What lives under the rock near your house? Puppets, children's literature, and real specimens introduce preschool scientists to a busy habitat. Explore insect anatomy and life cycles with bees and butterflies.
- Mammals I Learn about mammals that live in Lancaster County fields and backyards. Discover their habitats and become familiar with footprints. Compare their fur, tails, and skulls.
- Mammals II Take a closer look at Pennsylvania mammals and their unique characteristics, including antlers, eyes, and teeth. Learn about their adaptations and discover the relationship between predators and prey.
- Ocean Animals Numerous activities and materials introduce students to marine life. Information about marine mammals, turtles, birds, and other animals encourage students to better understand relationships that improve chances for survival.
- People of the Susquehanna Glimpse into the lives of the eastern Woodland Indians. Explore artifacts and replicas to learn about tools and the importance of animals in their daily lives.
- Electricity and Magnetism Ideas, activities, and experiments get students excited about these amazing forces. Includes resources to instruct your students in magnetism, batteries, electric circuits, and solar energy.
- Rocks & Minerals Be a geologist! Examine a variety of rock specimens to learn about minerals and the rock cycle. Learn about the earth's layers, plate tectonics, and soil. Investigate careers in the field of geology.
- Earth Science Introduce middle school students to Pennsylvania rocks and fossils. Use a karst cave model to study cave formation and life underground. Includes information about Lancaster County geology and mining.
Programs at your location are available on a limited basis. Topics relate to natural history and include hands-on specimens. Group presentations are designed for 20 - 100 participants depending on age and topic. Multiple presentations are also available. For more information click HERE. Pricing begins at $175.
Looking for a way to observe the wonders of the night sky, but don't have a telescope? Or are you wanting to test one out before investing in a telescope of your own? The North Museum offers an Orion SkyQuest XT4.5 reflecting telescope for rent. Observe planets and the moon, when visible, star clusters, the sun and more. Rental includes all of the following:
- EZ Finder II Reflex Sight Finderscope
- 25 mm and 10 mm eyepieces
- Moon Filter
- Solar Filter (for SAFE veiwing of sunspots, when visible, on the sun)
- Red Flashlight
- Resource Materials (Planisphere included)
- Training session from Cosmic Mike for the adult borrower
- 2 week rental (can be a little flexible dependant on percentage of nights with inclement weather conditions and availability of the telescope)
Total Rental Cost: $200 (includes a $100 Refundable Deposit Fee dependant on condition of returned telescope and accessories. (Entire rental package is valued at $500)
For more information or questions please contact Cosmic Mike at 717.291.4315 or email@example.com