Collections at the North Museum
Although the North Museum of Natural History & Science was founded in 1953, many of the collections were established far earlier. These collections are a combination of specimens collected in the 1800s by the Linnaean Society of Lancaster County and other naturalists, objects from Franklin & Marshall College, and numerous private donations from before and after 1953. Over 300,000 objects are housed by the Museum, representing a breadth of the traditional disciplines of natural history - biology, paleontology, geology, and anthropology. Many of the North Museum collections have the possess research value and illustrate the changing focus of small regional Museums over the decades. Above all, the collections also represent an enormous educational asset to our visitors and the community.
Collections activity made possible in part by a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services