400 College Avenue - Lancaster, PA 17603-3393 Phone: (717) 291-3941
HOURS: Tuesday - Saturday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. & Sunday from 12 noon to 5 p.m.

Events



History

 

Mission 

The North Museum of Natural History & Science inspires curiosity, discovery, and lifelong appreciation of nature, science, and cultures through educational exhibits, collections, and programs.

History of the North Museum

In the latter part of the 19th century, when amateur collecting of natural specimens was at the height of its popularity, Lancaster County was home to an active group of naturalist-collectors called the Linnaean Society. In time, this organization's rich and varied collections that include everything from archaeology to zoology were entrusted to Franklin and Marshall College. In 1953, with the assistance of funds from the estate of Hugh North, a local banker, the College erected the existing three-story museum on the F&M campus to hold these important natural history collections. The exhibits surround south-central Pennsylvania's largest planetarium.

The Museum quickly became a destination in the community for introducing children to the natural world. Over time, dedicated staff and volunteers were among the earliest museum professionals to embrace a philosophy of public science education, and, over the years, hundreds of thousands of people have visited the Museum-from pre-schoolers to seniors. Most residents of Lancaster County remember a visit to the North Museum as a 5th-grade student. Many area residents took advantage of the Museum's popular Ramble trips to nearby attractions and exotic locations.

In 1992, the Museum established itself as an independent, 501(c)(3) non-profit institution under the control of The North Museum Corporation. By agreement, the North Museum continues to occupy a part of the F&M campus.